Failed land purchase adds more delays to speedway project

From Niagara This Week: The long-delayed Canadian Motor Speedway appears to have hit yet another snag on the road to development, but those behind the project remain tight-lipped about any further setbacks. Three key properties which must be purchased before a building permit can be issued remain out of the hands of the developers, and…

Read More

Speedway OMB appeal tossed

From Niagara This Week: Last Thursday was a good day for Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin. “We’re happy, happy, happy, happy,” Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin said. “This is a great decision, it’s great news.” The “decision” Martin was referring to was one issued by The Ontario Municipal Board Thursday which clears the way for…

Read More

Speedway developer optimistic after OMB hearing

From Niagara This Week: The $400-million Canadian Motor Speedway project met its latest challenge Thursday as arguments were heard in an appeal of an Ontario Municipal Board decision green-lighting the project were heard in Toronto. Azhar Mohammad, the project’s executive director, said the day-long hearing went well and he’s looking forward to a positive decision…

Read More

Speedway launches petition for support

From Niagara This Week: After hitting a series of roadblocks following approval from the Ontario Municipal Board, developers behind the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway have turned to an online petition to rally support for the project. Since receiving OMB approval last month, the Speedway has faced an appeal of that decision from a local environmental…

Read More

Questions still surround proposed Fort Erie speedway

From the Toronto Star (Wheels.ca): Another hurdle has been cleared by the developers of the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway in Fort Erie. On Monday, the Ontario Municipal Board rejected all appeals against the planned speedway, which will include a one-mile paved oval track with seating for 65,000 spectators plus a road course. Good luck to…

Read More

OMB dismisses speedway appeals

From the Niagara Falls Review: Appeals against the Canadian Motor Speedway have been dismissed by a provincial planning board, paving the way for the much-anticipated project to break ground. The Town of Fort Erie received a decision from the Ontario Municipal Board Monday, which included some requirements and restrictions already agreed to by speedway officials…

Read More

Canadian Motor Speedway close to a groundbreaking

From the Niagara Falls Review: The man behind the Canadian Motor Speedway project is banking on a groundbreaking by the beginning of winter. Executive Director Azhar Mohammad said while the results of the Ontario Municipal Board’s decision haven’t been released yet, he’s remaining optimistic. “There really wasn’t any opposition,” he said of the hearing that…

Read More

Speedway OMB draws to a close

From Niagara This Week: The checkered flag has been waived and the Ontario Municipal Board hearing for the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway is over. Proceedings continued until last Thursday, wrapping up one day earlier than the initial two-week block set aside, and well short of the four-weeks originally scheduled for the hearing. “Finishing early is…

Read More

Speedway opponent drops OMB challenge

And now for one little bit of news that isn’t related to Nik Wallenda 🙂 From Niagara This Week: The proposed Canadian Motor Speedway project has one less barrier to hurdle this week after a settlement was reached between one of the major groups opposed to the project and the speedway proponent. Council voted unanimously…

Read More

Speedway OMB hearing to start June 18

From Niagara This Week: An Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) pre-hearing held last month in the Fort Erie council chambers attempted to set the schedule for the Canadian Motor Speedway (CMS) hearing, but the parties were unable to settle on a date and agreed to try again in a few weeks… According to Town solicitor Heather…

Read More