I have a regular blog visitor who is quite a fan of Marineland and he often sends me some notes of what he sees. Here are some of his comments/observations from a recent trip:
- Kiska is not pregnant, confirmed by staff, trainers and tank supervisor. Kiska is only lapping around her tank, gained some weight but NOT pregnant
- MLC employees know nothing of Shouka rumor (check the May 22 news item on orcahome)
- Tofino and Charmin (belugas) sent to stadium, performing in show once training is finished later this year
- No beluga pregnancies confirmed yet
- Eve, Neva, Charlotte and Mira , who are turning 3 (not Eve, she is 3 going on 4) this year are now at Friendship Cove, as part of weaning process from mothers.
- Dock (sea lion) is presumed dead (Check MLC Fans)
- Skyla’s calf still unnamed; Jubilee’s calf also un-named
- Caspian recovered from stillbirth in September
A couple of unrelated thoughts from Marineland…
I’ve been to Marineland a few times this year, and we’ve spent a lot of time at Friendship Cove where the Orca whales are kept. We watched the splash show a couple of weeks ago, and the last time we were there we went to the underwater viewing area.
Seeing the crowd watch the splash show reminded me of how important the killer whales are to Marineland. The people loved it. Kids were enthralled; parents were smiling with their kids, and people were getting really wet. If Marineland ends up losing Ikaika, Kiska dies, and they are left with no killer whales, I think it would really hurt their business.
When we were in the underwater viewing area, Ikaika was alone in the tank and spent a lot of time in front of the glass. It made for some nice pictures.
If you follow any of the comments on my YouTube videos, you know that one of the most popular videos is one of Topple Tower. So far it has almost 200,000 views! Recently someone left a comment as follows:
update: this ride will never operate again in niagara falls, RIP, structural CRACK
tsiemens 1 week ago
Well, I find it hard to believe that they won’t get it fixed. However, the sign at Marineland also doesn’t tell you the whole story. Temporarily means 3 months and counting…