Tag: ontario municipal board

    Failed land purchase adds more delays to speedway project

    No Comments

    From Niagara This Week:

    The long-delayed Canadian Motor Speedway appears to have hit yet another snag on the road to development, but those behind the project remain tight-lipped about any further setbacks. Three key properties which must be purchased before a building permit can be issued remain out of the hands of the developers, and according to sources, contract negotiations with the landowners have broken off.

    The first firm construction timeline given by the CMS developers came shortly after their successful Ontario Municipal Board trial in 2013. At that time, the developers said groundbreaking would begin in “late 2014” and the track would be “race-ready in 2016.” Numerous updated timelines for construction were offered in the ensuing years, all of which have come and gone without any shovels hitting the ground. Although some preliminary work was done two years ago on nearby land, no progress has been made on the track itself.

    The reason those shovels have yet to hit the ground is because the developers of the speedway have yet to purchase the necessary ground with which to put those shovels into.

    Speedway OMB appeal tossed

    No Comments

    From Niagara This Week:

    Last Thursday was a good day for Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin.

    “We’re happy, happy, happy, happy,” Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin said. “This is a great decision, it’s great news.”

    The “decision” Martin was referring to was one issued by The Ontario Municipal Board Thursday which clears the way for the green flag to be dropped for the Canadian Motor Speedway.

    The OMB dismissed an appeal by the Preservation of Agricultural Lands Society (PALS), one of the parties to the original OMB appeal of the proposed speedway,

    Speedway developer optimistic after OMB hearing

    1 Comment

    From Niagara This Week:

    The $400-million Canadian Motor Speedway project met its latest challenge Thursday as arguments were heard in an appeal of an Ontario Municipal Board decision green-lighting the project were heard in Toronto.

    Azhar Mohammad, the project’s executive director, said the day-long hearing went well and he’s looking forward to a positive decision in short order.

    “Fantastic and as we anticipated,” Mohammad told Bullet News when reached for comment late Thursday evening.

    Speedway launches petition for support

    No Comments

    From Niagara This Week:

    After hitting a series of roadblocks following approval from the Ontario Municipal Board, developers behind the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway have turned to an online petition to rally support for the project.

    Since receiving OMB approval last month, the Speedway has faced an appeal of that decision from a local environmental group, and two crucial land acquisition deals — a necessary component for any progress — have been aborted.

    Questions still surround proposed Fort Erie speedway

    No Comments

    From the Toronto Star (Wheels.ca):

    Another hurdle has been cleared by the developers of the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway in Fort Erie.

    On Monday, the Ontario Municipal Board rejected all appeals against the planned speedway, which will include a one-mile paved oval track with seating for 65,000 spectators plus a road course.

    Good luck to them. There are still some hoops to jump through – completion of environmental reports, that sort of thing – but the green light seems to be getting closer.

    OMB dismisses speedway appeals

    1 Comment

    From the Niagara Falls Review:

    Appeals against the Canadian Motor Speedway have been dismissed by a provincial planning board, paving the way for the much-anticipated project to break ground.

    The Town of Fort Erie received a decision from the Ontario Municipal Board Monday, which included some requirements and restrictions already agreed to by speedway officials and one of the primary opponents, the Citizens Coalition of Greater Fort Erie.

    “CMS is very excited about the decision by the OMB … and that the conclusion reaffirms that our project addresses and implements matters of provincial and regional interest,” said the speedway’s executive director Azhar Mohammad.

    “This will be a world-class facility that will attract visitors from all over North America. We are very anxious to begin the next steps in seeing the speedway become a reality.”

    Canadian Motor Speedway close to a groundbreaking

    3 Comments

    From the Niagara Falls Review:

    The man behind the Canadian Motor Speedway project is banking on a groundbreaking by the beginning of winter.

    Executive Director Azhar Mohammad said while the results of the Ontario Municipal Board’s decision haven’t been released yet, he’s remaining optimistic.

    “There really wasn’t any opposition,” he said of the hearing that ended June 28. “(Opposition groups) didn’t have the experts and (their points) were more opinionated with less facts to back it up, so I think we did a pretty good job.”

    He said he expects the results to be released any day now and if everything goes according to plan, a special groundbreaking ceremony could happen as early as this fall.

    “It would take a couple of months to do the planning, but we have our teams in place,” he said. “Realistically, there would be no brick and mortar, but maybe some dirt moving and pre-grading work.”

    Speedway OMB draws to a close

    No Comments

    From Niagara This Week:

    The checkered flag has been waived and the Ontario Municipal Board hearing for the proposed Canadian Motor Speedway is over.

    Proceedings continued until last Thursday, wrapping up one day earlier than the initial two-week block set aside, and well short of the four-weeks originally scheduled for the hearing.

    “Finishing early is a very good sign,” said Economic and Development Tourism general manager Jim Thibert.

    Speedway OMB hearing to start June 18

    No Comments

    From Niagara This Week:

    An Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) pre-hearing held last month in the Fort Erie council chambers attempted to set the schedule for the Canadian Motor Speedway (CMS) hearing, but the parties were unable to settle on a date and agreed to try again in a few weeks…

    According to Town solicitor Heather Salter, the parties were able to settle on two separate blocks of time for the hearing.

    The trial is now confirmed to start on June 18 and run for two weeks until June 29. If additional time is required, the trial will pick up again on Nov. 5 and run for another two weeks until Nov. 16.

    Still no date for OMB hearing on speedway

    No Comments

    If you are interested in the proposed motor speedway (NASCAR-type oval) that might be built just outside of Niagara Falls, then you might be interested in this article from the Niagara Falls Review:

    There remains more questions than answers, despite an Ontario Municipal Board pre-hearing Tuesday on a contentious speedway proposal that was supposed to determine when the actual hearing will begin.

    Due to several conflicting schedules between the appellants, legal counsel and experts, a hearing date could not be agreed upon. A telephone conference will be held in February to hammer out a specific date.

    The hearing is expected to last up to four weeks. It’s the result of opposition to the town’s and Niagara Region’s support for a Canadian Motor Speedway proposal.

    %d bloggers like this: