Tag: oak hall

    Top 10 names in mining

    No Comments

    Surprisingly this article from the Sudbury Star talks about Harry Oakes but doesn’t mention at all his time in Niagara Falls or his contributions to the city, and the many locations that are named after him. For those who don’t know, Harry Oakes is connected to Oakes Garden Theatre (at the foot of Clifton Hill), Oak Hall (the Niagara Parks Commission headquarters), and the HOCO property on Clifton Hill.

    Canada is one of the great mining countries in the world. With the second-largest land mass and an entrepreneurial junior and senior mining culture – Toronto is the mine financing capital of the world for a reason – the mineral sector has been an integral part of this country’s history.

    Next year Canada is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the signing of confederation, when a number of widely scattered British colonies joined forces to avoid being swallowed up by the expanding American giant to the south. Since the mainstream media largely ignores the enormous contributions of the mineral sector, it was time to highlight the top 10 movers and shakers in mining.

    The list is only focused on mine builders not mine finders…

    No. 10: The Golden Boys – Noah Timmins (Hollinger) and Harry Oakes (Lakeshore)

    Sharing the 10th spot on the list is Noah Timmins and Harry Oakes, well-known mine builders in the Timmins and Kirkland Lake camps, respectively…

    American-born and well-known for his cantankerous personality, Harry Oakes played an instrumental role in transforming Kirkland Lake into one of the world’s most significant gold camps…

    Keeping things fresh at HOCO

    No Comments

    From the Niagara Falls Review:

    Strapped into articulating yellow chairs and wearing 3D glasses, riders on the new XD Theater ride on Clifton Hill don’t know what they’re in for.

    But as the lights dim and the massive screen in front of them comes to life, they’re suddenly aboard a futuristic roller coaster hurtling them around huge rocks, above bottomless pits and through lava-filled caverns.

    The adventure is the latest attraction inside the Great Canadian Midway on the south side of Clifton Hill. The buildings and businesses on that side of the street are owned by HOCO Entertainment and Resorts.

    The Oakes family has been around in Niagara Falls since the 1920s, when mining tycoon Sir Harry Oakes built and moved into what is now known as Oak Hall. Today, his grandsons Harry and Phillip Oakes run HOCO and its portfolio of tourism-related businesses.

    The brothers have long believed that to be successful, they must stay current.

    “Our basic business philosophy is you have to continually get better,” said Harry Oakes. “If you stand still, you get steamrolled. That continual improvement applies to any business – whether it’s tourism or manufacturing.”

    Autographs for the ages

    No Comments

    From the Niagara Falls Review:

    It’s a leather-bound relic stuck on the top shelf of a basement room at Oak Hall.

    It’s tucked behind a sheet of plastic, barely noticeable among the binders, filing cabinets and film canisters.

    But it just might be the most impressive autograph collection in Niagara Falls.

    The first signature in the Niagara Parks Commission’s official guest book is illegible. It was someone from England who visited on Aug. 8, 1920. The next dozen or so pages are the same thing — quickly-scrawled names of people who passed through the Commission’s 62.2-hectare park named for Queen Victoria, which opened in May 1888.

    It was an unremarkable tome, notable only to mark the distances people travelled to see Niagara Falls.

    Then in 1923, former British Prime Minister David Lloyd George became the first famous visitor to sign the book. It wasn’t flashy — no witty message attached — but it was history.

    Since then, the rich and famous alike have been jotting their names in the same book, compiling a roll call any autograph collector would covet.

    Full house at historic NPC meeting

    1 Comment

    From the Niagara Falls Review:

    It was standing room only at Oak Hall Friday where several dozen people crammed into a committee room for the first public meeting of the Niagara Parks Commission in its 124-year history.

    “We did not expect to see this many people,” said acting chairman Archie Katzman. Commissioners are “encouraged” by the public’s interest in the goings-on at the provincial agency which is responsible for preserving, promoting and enhancing the area around Horseshoe Falls and the land along the Niagara River.

    Members of the 12-member board voted in December to make their meetings open to to the public, following a government initiative to make its agencies more transparent.

    %d bloggers like this: