From WIVB Channel 4 in Buffalo:
He’s feisty, playful, and a bit of flirt.
You’d never guess by looking at 1-year-old Stryker that the Harbor Seal pup almost lost his life.
He was hit by a boat in New Jersey earlier this year and needed one of his back flippers amputated.
Because he’s no longer able to survive on his own in the wild, he was brought to the Aquarium of Niagara.
From the San Francisco Chronicle:
A harbor seal whose rear flipper had to be amputated after being struck by a boat has recovered and is headed to an upstate New York aquarium…
The injuries make it nearly impossible for the seal to survive in the wild, so center staff arranged to send the animal to the Aquarium of Niagara in Niagara Falls on Friday.
I have a blog visitor who loves Marineland. This person sends me an update every now and then to let me know what is going on. This is the latest update:
- Dock, Oceanna and Skyla’s calf of 2011, Scoot are confirmed deceased
- Births: 2 boys; Frankie to Sierra, X4 to Xena,
- Births: 2 girls; Luna to Lillooet, G4 to Gemini
- Names: Luna- Lillooet’s calf, Frankie- Sierra’s calf, Uba- Jubilee’s calf from 2011
- Gender confirmation: Uba is female
- Kiska is possibly being trained for AI( see video link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntEUq2lJOAs
- Tofino and Charmin are replacing the dolphin ballet eventually, meaning a dolphin habitat may be in the works
- Another Arctic Cove is speculated, along with harbor seal and sealion habitats to be in works
- Kiska is constantly being cared for, very spoilt and her health is infact very healthy despite her losses
- Interesting facts: Tank (Acadia’s calf of 2011) was rejected early on yet she accepted him prior to 2012 season, unlike SeaWorld’s/ Loro Parque’s Kohana and Adan
- Uba is very independant for her age and babysits, alot like her older sister Jellybean, is the latest calf of any year (October)
- Other: Topple Tower being shut down, Hurricane Cove renovation, Sky Hawk and Flying Dragon get stuck on occassion