From WKBW Channel 7 in Buffalo:
Niagara Falls has passed a population milestone, though in the wrong way.
The U.S. Census Bureau is reporting that the population of Niagara Falls has fallen below 50,000. The city had an estimated 49,722 residents as of last July, according to new figures released this morning.
Niagara Falls peaked at a population of 102,394 in 1960. Today’s report marks the first time that the city has been below 50,000 since World War I.
- WIVB Channel 4 in Buffalo Population drain continues for WNY
NPR has a good story about the consequences of the loss of population in Niagara Falls, New York:
Niagara Falls used to be one of the biggest cities in New York. But since the 1960s, its population has fallen by more than half. Now, Niagara Falls must stay above 50,000 residents or lose its status as a city — and millions in state and federal funds that act as life support. As the 2020 census looms, city leaders are bracing for the worst, while experimenting with new ways to attract residents.
This quiz was in the Niagara Falls Review last week, but it is still worth trying. Here are some of the questions, and click through to read them all and see all of the options and answers…
- Rounded to the nearest thousand, what is the population of Niagara Falls?
- What anniversary is the Niagara Parks Commission’s School of Horticulture celebrating this year?
- What is Niagara Falls’ official flower?
- Which of these parks is the oldest?
- How many lights illuminate the falls each night?
- The first person to perform on a tightrope stretched across the Niagara River Gorge was
- Which one of these carmakers once had a glass plant in Niagara Falls?
The Buffalo News has an article about how to save the City of Niagara Falls, New York using the “problem-solving process”:
The city has a multitude of problems that result in the city having a poor image: high crime rate, blighted neighborhoods, loss of population, high taxes, high poverty rate, and low wages. If we could begin to solve these, we might begin to solve that image problem and make the city a better place to live.