{"id":8273,"date":"2010-04-01T09:00:40","date_gmt":"2010-04-01T13:00:40","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/?p=8273"},"modified":"2010-04-01T08:33:43","modified_gmt":"2010-04-01T12:33:43","slug":"autographs-for-the-ages","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/2010\/04\/01\/autographs-for-the-ages\/","title":{"rendered":"Autographs for the ages"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>From the <a href=\"http:\/\/www.niagarafallsreview.ca\/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2517076\">Niagara Falls Review<\/a>:<\/p>\n<blockquote><p>It&#8217;s a leather-bound relic stuck on the top shelf of a basement room at Oak Hall.<\/p>\n<p>It&#8217;s tucked behind a sheet of plastic, barely noticeable among the binders, filing cabinets and film canisters.<\/p>\n<p>But it just might be the most impressive autograph collection in Niagara Falls.<\/p>\n<p>The first signature in the Niagara Parks Commission&#8217;s official guest book is illegible. It was someone from England who visited on Aug. 8, 1920. The next dozen or so pages are the same thing &#8212; quickly-scrawled names of people who passed through the Commission&#8217;s 62.2-hectare park named for Queen Victoria, which opened in May 1888.<\/p>\n<p>It was an unremarkable tome, notable only to mark the distances people travelled to see Niagara Falls.<\/p>\n<p>Then in 1923, former British Prime Minister David Lloyd George became the first famous visitor to sign the book. It wasn&#8217;t flashy &#8212; no witty message attached &#8212; but it was history.<\/p>\n<p>Since then, the rich and famous alike have been jotting their names in the same book, compiling a roll call any autograph collector would covet.<\/p><\/blockquote>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>From the Niagara Falls Review: It&#8217;s a leather-bound relic stuck on the top shelf of a basement room at Oak Hall. It&#8217;s tucked behind a sheet of plastic, barely noticeable among the binders, filing cabinets and film canisters. But it just might be the most impressive autograph collection in Niagara Falls. The first signature in&#8230;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":6111,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"_jetpack_newsletter_access":"","_jetpack_dont_email_post_to_subs":false,"_jetpack_newsletter_tier_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paywalled_content":false,"_jetpack_feature_clip_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paid_content":false,"footnotes":"","jetpack_publicize_message":"","jetpack_publicize_feature_enabled":true,"jetpack_social_post_already_shared":false,"jetpack_social_options":{"image_generator_settings":{"template":"highway","default_image_id":0,"font":"","enabled":false},"version":2},"jetpack_post_was_ever_published":false},"categories":[3,2],"tags":[3165,3166,3170,3172,3164,3171,1242,3167,3169,3174,99,2861,3168,3173],"class_list":["post-8273","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-niagara-falls-history","category-niagara-falls-news","tag-autograph","tag-autograph-collection","tag-autograph-collector","tag-autographs","tag-binder","tag-british-prime-minister","tag-collection","tag-david-lloyd-george","tag-famous","tag-guest-book","tag-niagara-parks-commission","tag-oak-hall","tag-rich","tag-signature"],"jetpack_publicize_connections":[],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"jetpack_likes_enabled":true,"jetpack_featured_media_url":"","_links":{"self":[{"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/8273","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/6111"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=8273"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/8273\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":8274,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/8273\/revisions\/8274"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=8273"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=8273"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/accessniagara.com\/blog\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=8273"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}